Yet another case of drugs abuse has hit the Indian Institute of Management Indore. This time 3 students of the Integrated Programme in Management were caught smoking up on the campus. The incident happened a week ago and a disciplinary committee was set up to probe it.
Committee members apparently had long discussions with the students before arriving at a decision to expel all of them. According to Dr Akhtar Parvez, Dean, Administration the parents of the students were informed and they were given the choice of withdrawing from the five-year programme.
The boys are 17 years old and come from academically-eminent families. Two of the boys are from South India. The parents were apparently in a state of shock on hearing about the incident while the students generally seemed ‘unmoved.’ Parents of all the students had come to the campus to collect their wards.
Drugs abuse is not unheard of in b-schools in India. However, while many institutes prefer to let it be as a ‘natural thing’ on campus, IIM Indore has always been taking action to the point of expelling students. Adds Dr Parvez: “We have a zero-tolerant attitude when it comes to alcohol, smoking or drugs. We do not like to give students a second chance if the committee set up to study the case suggests that we expel the students. It is a message we want to send across.”
The students procured the drugs from dhabas sprung up close to the institute. According to sources, while these dhabas also sell parathas and sabjee, they eventually sell drugs to those who visit them often and have the cash to cough up.
Last year too, five students were caught taking drugs in two different cases at IIM Indore . In February 2012, two students were expelled for taking drugs and later in October, three students were expelled for the same reason. Some of the students were given a chance to get return after a year of which one student joined back IIM Indore.
|IIM Indore terminates admission of 3 IPM students for drugs abusePaGalGuY.com|
Yet another case of drugs abuse has hit the Indian Institute of Management Indore. This time 3 students of the Integrated Programme in Management were ...See all stories on this topic »
|Husband sets wife ablaze in DharTimes of India|
INDORE: A woman, mother of four hailing from Indore was allegedly set ablaze by her husband in Rajgarh area of Dhar district. Shailja Jain, 40 was ...See all stories on this topic »
|Federation of Indian Export Organization to hold workshop for ...Times of India|
INDORE: The Indore chapter of Federation of Indian Export Organization (FIEO) is ... on 'How to become a successful exporter'in Indore.See all stories on this topic »
|Govt assures pothole-free roads in next 40 daysTimes of India|
INDORE: With elections approaching, the state government has come with an ambitious plan to make Indore region, including Indore city, free of potholes in the ...See all stories on this topic »
|Terror-stricken Kheda residents returnTimes of India|
INDORE: A day after terror-stricken residents of Kheda area of Khirkiya, most of them working as daily wagers, have returned following heavy security ...See all stories on this topic »
|Call centre employee stabbed to death near Polo GroundTimes of India|
INDORE: Two incidents of stabbing jolted Indorelate night. While a young call centre employee was found stabbed to death near Polo Ground in ...See all stories on this topic »
|Malaria scare: One-month-old tested positiveTimes of India|
INDORE/ MHOW: A one-month-old infant, who tested positive of faliciparum malaria in Mhow district,Indore, was admitted to a private hospital,.See all stories on this topic »